Monday, May 12, 2008

Oodles Of Doodles CCCXXXV


I'm doing my best to get on a roll here and throw up a bunch of doodles while I'm in the mood. I think finding this one is the reason why I got in the mood to post some of these again. Isn't this just a great little piece of art? These happy drummers hail from the flipside of Steel Drums (HiFi R817, 1959), credited on the label as 'Live Recording of Native Steel Drum Group'. I can't say much for their record keeping or cultural sensitivity, but at least they gave us a great doodle. And if you look close, you'll see the name of a great doodle artist at the base of the palm tree at far right. F. (Frank) Page is a name that has popped up here many times (1, 2, 3), and it always brings a great doodle with it. I think this is the first time it's shown up on this label, previously showing up on Capitol and Dot. Oh, the sun below is actually from up above the scene below, but I wanted you to see the funky drummers first. Sorry if I confused anybody.

Curious little side note for anyone who cares. This LP is marked with a red rubber stamp on the back that states: "Specially recorded in Trinidad for AREYTO Record Shops", and the right side of the stamp is some sort of Aztec or Mayan-looking mask. Does that mean anything to anybody?

1 comment:

  1. Love your eye for doodles. It really is the little things isn't it? They make a big difference when it comes down to it and you have brought us some real fun little bits of art. I enjoy them all, even the microphones! I obviously share your intrigue with these musings, little make believe worlds in each. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...