Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Chicago's Leading Lady


It's hard for me to believe that I was in Chicago two weeks ago. So much has happened in the interim that it seems decades ago. However, I was able to take some time to myself and get out with my camera while I was there, so I have some digital memories that should last for a good long while. This lovely lady is one of the things I saw that intrigued me. She was planted in the median of Congress Avenue right next to my hotel. You could see hundreds of little bulbs just starting to peek out of the ground, so I'm sure that by now this statue is surrounded by greenery. I think this was part of an exhibition of pieces made from recycled auto parts, but I'm not sure. Let me do a little research. Well, the exhibit I'm thinking of was called Artists + Automobiles and was on display in 2006. So I've no idea what this piece might be from.

UPDATE: Someone found out who this lovely lady is for me. Her name is Magdalene or Magdaline, depending on where you look, and she is sculpted by Dessa Kirk. Turns out that she is the same artist who did the Artists + Automobiles pieces I saw, but I think those are a different exhibit.

5 comments:

  1. http://www.dessakirk.com/daphnegarden.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.dessakirk.com/magdalene.html THIS IS THE ONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, today I SUCK, the leaves/arms are different. E(nb) YOUR RESEARCH SKILLS AMAZE AND ASTOUND! I must defer to the expert, you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's the second one, 'Magdalene'. Thanks for the linkage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're still recovering or would have included this in the orig post. glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...