Friday, March 25, 2005

Quilted (but not Charmin)


(I should be getting packed for a trip to GA, but instead I'm working on my blog.)

Here's a request from one of my loyal readers (Hi Mom!). She wanted to see a picture of the tie quilt I mentioned in an earlier posting. So the picture above is a detail of the big one. You can see the wide variety of ties used in it's construction, every pattern from checks to paisleys, every color you can imagine, and even a special guest appearance by Taz. Even more unique than the ties is the fact that they are all silk ties. Most of them were purchased at $1 each from dozens of thrift stores over a period of a couple years. I've never counted to see how many ties are actually in it, but it has to be in the low hundreds to cover a queen sized bed. And that number grows occasionally. About once a year, I have to send the quilt back for touch-up work, as some of the ties start to wear out, the fabric being rather delicate. I guess ties aren't meant to take much abuse. (I'm pretty sure that Taz showed up after one of those refurbs. He wasn't there when the quilt was new...) Probably the worst indignity the quilt has suffered was when the cat got mad and peed on it. I had to have the thing washed and repaired after that. Every wash causes it to fade just a little, so I try to keep it as clean as possible.

There's another tie quilt, that wasn't made from scratch, but instead restored by mom. It'll have to wait for another day...

2 comments:

  1. ernie,
    the quilt is BEAUTIFUL!
    thank you for sharing it with us.
    love you
    aunt *judy*

    i tried to sign up but it would not accept some of my info.
    sorry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ernie,

    Which one is me? Homer or Cartman?

    http://www.whodigsben.com/Comic2.html

    Chuck Williams
    E-Mail: chuck@icsemail.com

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...