Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Christmas In July 2017 Day 40

Wow!  Day 40!  I can't believe it.  I didn't even plan on doing a Christmas in July this year, and here it's the biggest and longest one I've done yet.  But does it have the best music?  I'll leave that to you folks to decide.  Here's some more music for you.

1. Sleigh Ride by Marco Rizo, His Piano & Orchestra, from the album Leroy Anderson In Latin America (Forum SF 9039 (Reissue of Tico LP 1061), Stereo, 1960).  I remember sharing this out way back in one of my very first Christmas in July celebrations.  Little did I know where that was going to lead.

2. Satin Doll by Joe Carlo At The Lowrey Organ from Dedicated To You (RCA Camden (Canada) CAS-2178, Stereo).  No, I don't really think this Duke Ellington tune is very Christmassy, but I like to include doll and toy songs.

3. Ring The Bells by Monnajean McIlwain from Ten Thousand Angels-Christmas And Gospel Favorites (Mus-I-Col 103727/103728, Stereo).  Should have recorded this one much earlier in the season, but I didn't find it until recently.  Still lots of tracks to go.

4. Precious Little Baby by Len Mink from the LP That The World May Know-Good News! Volume 4 (Omega Advertising/Full Gospel Men's Fellowship International No Number, Stereo).  This LP was tied to some TV show, I think, and is a various artists affair.  The only name on there I recognized was Pat Boone, but I was still happy to spot a Christmas tune!

5. Polish Doll-Rhinelaendler (Polska Lalka), another doll-titled track, this time from Connecticut Twins Orchestra and their LP Holiday In Poland (Stella S-LP 926, Stereo).  I almost called it a polka, but I guess it's really a rhinelaendler, whatever that is.

6. Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers by Jack Fina from Kitten On The Keys (Dot DLP 25268, Stereo, 1960).  More piano.

7. Oh, There Was A Little Baby by Alan Mills from Holiday Songs (Bowmar B 2055 168, Stereo, 1966).  Lots of kiddie music this year.  I guess that's a genre of music I pay attention to since I know the odds of finding a track are good.

8. In The Winter by Sheena Easton from Madness, Money And Music (EMI America (Capitol) ST-17080, Stereo, 1982).  You never know what you'll find until you look.  I believe this is a cover of a Janis Ian song.

9. An Improvisation On "Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy" (From "Nutcracker Suite") by Ray Conniff, His Orchestra And Chorus, from Concert In Rhythm-Volume II (Columbia CS 8212, Stereo, 1960).  Very creative version, longtime favorite around here.

10. I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing, the Coca-Cola Christmas song, performed by Arthur Fiedler And The Boston Pops from their album Evening At Pops (Polydor PD5032, Stereo, 1972).  This is the album with Julia Childs on the other side.

11. I Don't Remember Christmas by George Lee Andrews from the Broadway soundtrack Starting Here, Starting Now (RCA Red Seal ABL1-2360, Stereo, 1977).  Odd song...

12. Holiday For Percussion by Dick Schory's Percussion Pops Orchestra from Holiday For Percussion (RCA Victor LSA-2485, Stereo, 1962).  Love it when I can squeeze in some Dick Schory goodness.

13. His Name Would Be Called Jesus by Chorus And Orchestra Conducted By Earl Sheldon from The Life Of Christ (In Songs And Narration) (Manor Records ST 91328 aka MR S201, Stereo, 1968).  This is a weird LP.  More to come from it.

14. Go Tell It On The Mountain by Moms Mabley from her album Live at Sing Sing (Mercury SR-61263, Stereo, 1970).  Yep, a Christmas song from Moms.  I guess she visited prisons around the holiday season fro a while, and this was a recording of one such visit.

15. Exotic Night By Martin Denny from Exotica Classica-For Those In Love (Liberty LST-7513, Stereo, 1967).  It's just his retitled version of Greensleeves, but he's given it his patented exotic twist.

16. Chestnuts Roasting by Little Sparrow from the album Steel Pan Hit Songs (G.B.I. Recording Co GBI-116, Stereo, 1980).  Another retitled song, this time it's The Christmas Song, and it sounds pretty exotic on the steel drums, but not the same as if Denny had done it.

17. Blow, Winds, Blow by Sing & Learn from Seasonal Songs (Macmillan Educational Company 09015, Stereo, 1989).  Yet more kiddie music.

18. Ave Maria (Bach-Gounod) by The Robert Shaw Chorale With Symphony Orchestra And Organ-Organist: Clyde Holloway, from Songs Of Faith And Inspiration (RCA Victor Red Seal LSC-2760, Stereo, 1964).  Pretty majestic.

And that's it for the night, I'm going to cut it a little short.  I've only got a few more days of stuff to share so I'm going to wind it down a little bit rather than run full steam ahead all the way to the end.  Anyhow, here's the link, enjoy the music!

Zippyshare

3 comments:

  1. You're winding down? I thought the supply was endless. . .

    I think the Connecticut Twins Orchestra should have done a Leroy Anderson in Poland record. Holiday for Accordions!

    I did not know that Moms Mabley did Christmas tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago, I found that "I don't Remember Christmas" track done by Harry Groener. He was the guy on that Judd Hirsch TV show "Dear John" who rode the motorcycle and... did whatever else he did. I mostly only remember him because I was quite surprised to find he was a Broadway actor who can sing very well too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 40 days and 40 nights
    thou wast fasting in… oops, wrong holiday.

    i was a bit disappointed in the moms mabley. i was hoping for some dirty jokes on the bridge. all i got was some ‘hallelujas’. but then again, there were no kookaburras in the martin denny either. so you take what you can get. and imagine my surprise when i saw listed an improvisation by, of all people, ray coniff. after listening, i’m still not convinced it was an improvisation, but it was definitely ray conniff [a bit spooky… like he’d run out of haley’s m-o one night and came up with this]. on the other hand, monnajean mcIlwain was jaw-dropping. the goodwill bins in florida must be full of her. you say you’re going to post more. if she sings ‘der holle rache’, i’d like to hear it. and steel drums. always need more christmas calypso. lord nelson’s ‘party for santa claus’ is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...