Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Kimball, Not Gum Ball


I got an odd request for something that I didn't think anybody liked, so here it is.  From 2005, one of my least popular shares ever.  I've never remastered this one, so it's low, low, low bitrate, and the sound itself might be a little dodgy. (I've gotten a bit better over the years, I like to think.)  I have found another copy or two in the past ten years, and given a little thought to a re-recording, but never got around to it.  Someday...  In the meantime, you'll have to make do with this copy of A Kimball Christmas (KPO 82-004, Stereo, 1982).

1. Byron Melcher-Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers
2. John Norton-Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
3. Hal Vincent-Mary's Little Boy Chile
4. Bill Ryder-Silver Bells
5. Byron Melcher-Just A Closer Walk With Thee
6. Byron Melcher-Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
7. Hal Vincent-Blue Christmas
8. John Norton-Christmas Medley
9. Wade Bray-Sleighride
10. Bill Ryder-O Holy Night

Zippyshare

7 comments:

  1. Do you have any information on the "Kimball" part of this? Just curious. The performer doesn't have the name Kimball and I am wondering if this is a comp ala the old Firestone albums. It was the first thing that popped into my mind probably because many years ago I was a seasonal Christmas worker for a midwestern company called Miles Kimball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never listened to this album and I have no interest in doing so, so this could be way off the mark. But I've always assumed it was "Kimball" after the company that made and sold pianos and organs. They were big around the time this record was made.

    And having just looked it up online, that is in fact the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good album. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a track from this album as a musical interlude piece on my Spoken Word Christmas collection. It was perfect for that, kind of like elevator music to get you from one spoken word track to the next. This is a pretty good record, taking the style into context.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, Anon. For you...I downloaded the album and gave it a shot. I made it through all of about 4 seconds. It was every bit as "fingernails on a chalkboard" to me as I thought it would be. This is not the kind of music I enjoy. And I knew that. This is the kind of Christmas music I have spent my whole life running away from in horror.

    Other people may find this thing wonderful--a treasure. And that's fine. I didn't say it sucked; I said I had no interest in it. Its not for me. I was quick to dismiss it--for me--because I know myself and I know what I like. You know what you like. God bless ya. And I would never ask you to sit down and listen to Death Metal Christmas music if you indicated it wasn't for you (not that I'm big on Death Metal, but it still rates a tad higher with me than this sort of thing).

    To each his own, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  6. For what it's worth, I thought of Miles Kimball first too. Hello, Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sucker for seventies-style electric organ music, so thanks for this. I enjoyed listening to it, took me back to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...