Thursday, July 05, 2012

Christmas In July 2012-Part 5

Has it been five days already?  I guess so.  Still a long way to go this month.  Let's jump right in...

1. Look Ahead by The Mariners With Orchestra And Chorus Under The Direction Of Archie Bleyer, Introduction By Arthur Godfrey from Arthur Godfrey's TV Calendar Show (Columbia CL 521, Mono, 1953).  There are three Christmassy tracks on this record, two of which I shared with you last year, one of which kept skipping on me, so I didn't share it.  Not long after that share, I found a very clean copy for a quarter, so here you go.  This may have been a good last-day-of-the-month track, but I thought of that too late.

2. Love-In (December) by Hal Blaine from his album Psychedelic Percussion (Dunhill 50019, Mono, 1967).  Another little blast of psychedelia for your yuletide.

3. The March Of The Siamese Children by Joe "Fingers" Carr from Honky-Tonk Street Parade (Capitol T809, Mono, 1957).  Not really Christmas related, but it always reminds me of March Of The Wooden Soldiers, and it has everything to do with Children, so I throw it in here.

4. Oh, You Beautiful Doll performed by Russ Carlyle And His Orchestra from Russ Carlyle And His Orchestra At Roseland Dance City (ABC-Paramount ABC-253, Mono, 1959).  Well, it has 'doll' in the title...

5. Pure As The Driven Snow by Dorothy Shay The Park Avenue Hillbilly from the reissue LP Coming 'Round The Mountain (Harmony (Columbia) HL 7017, Mono, 1957).  Dorothy Shay has been a little project of mine this year, I've tracked down some of her original 78s and a 10" LP on Capitol.  This isn't much to do with Christmas, but it does mention snow.  I've done worse.

6. Skater's Waltz by 110 Strings, budget label goodness from the 7" record Waltz Favorites (Tops Compact LP 7" 33 RPM 706, Mono).  I think this is the second track this year from a 7" record.  I've seen what I think is this same recording on 12", but ripping the 7" gives me something to talk about.

7. Super Skier, a track about hitting the slopes by The Chad Mitchell Trio from their live LP Mighty Day On Campus (Kapp KL-1262, Mono, 1962).  This track is co-written by Bob Gibson, but I don't remember it featuring on his ski-themed album.

8. Be A Santa by Percy Faith And His Orchestra from the LP Subways Are For Sleeping (Columbia CS 8533, Stereo, 1961).  I've been hunting for this for ages, ever since I first found out he recorded it.  This has to be one of the harder to find Percy Faith records as far as I'm concerned.  But here it is!

9. Bring A Torch, Jeannette Isabella by Chamber Singers-Robert Summer, Conductor, another track from the LP University Of South Florida Chamber Singers And University Singers (Suncoast Recording Service KM4471, Stereo, 1979).  I've never been exactly clear on what's going on in this song...

10. Come And Adore by St. Olaf Lutheran Choir-Conducted By Olaf C. Christiansen from the LP Fifty Golden Years (Mercury SR 60728, Stereo, 1962).  I think this is a rerun...

11. December by Count Basie & The Mills Brothers from their LP The Board Of Directors (Dot DLP 25838, Stereo, 1968).  I know this one is a rerun, possibly one of the best tracks I shared out in 2010, I think it was.  Hopefully, it sounds a bit better this time around.

12. The First Noel by Funtastic 25 and the album Funtastic 25 Children's Songs Volume 2 (ERA BU 4952, Stereo, 1982).  Sometimes, you find Christmas music in the weirdest places.  This record aimed at kids featured a Christmas song at the end of both sides.  Very odd, but I'll take what I can get.  I'm not even sure the name of the group is supposed to be Funtastic 25, but that was all I could figure out from the way it was written on the LP cover and the vinyl.

And that's it for tonight.  I've got to go see if the washer is going to work after I replaced the control panel.  I think it's still got problems, but we'll see.  Here's your link...

MediaFire

2 comments:

  1. You rip records and fix washers - quite an industrious fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Percy Faith's "Be A Santa" is terrific - thanks so much! Mitch Miller has a great version, too, if you haven't heard that one (but I'm guessing you have).

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...