Saturday, July 04, 2009

Christmas In July 2009-Day The Fourth

Happy Fourth Of July to all of you out there, especially those of you in the good old U. S. Of A. I'm sure the farthest things from most of your minds is Christmas, so today's selections all focus on ways for you to cool off. I've got songs that talk about snow or winter, and I think that will help to get you in the Christmas spirit. It might also help if you wait to download these until after the fireworks. Then you'll really appreciate the chill these tunes put in the air. Oh, and as a special tribute to the Fourth of July, I've got a bonus track for you. First up, two songs, both called Lonely Winter, but not the same song. Version one is by Ralph Marterie And His Marlboro Men from the LP Marvelous Marterie (Mercury Wing SRW 12511, 1958). Did I share this with you before? Yes, looks like I did, but in mono. Well, here's a stereo copy. The second song of the same title is from Earl Grant, and his LP Yes Sirree! (Decca DL 74405, 1963). I think this one is actually new to the blog, I hope. While I'm here, I've also included The Snows Of Kilimanjaro, also by Grant and from the same LP. My other winter track is one that I tried to record three or four years ago, but the record kept skipping. I finally found another copy this past year, so here is Winter Won't Come This Year by Bill Medley (You know, from The Righteous Brothers) and the album Soft And Soulful (MGM SE-4603, 1969). I think it was worth the wait. One more chilly track for you this evening. It's Snow Time In Vienna by Irving Fields And His Trio from Melody Cruise To Vienna (Oceanic OCP 515). Are you feeling a little chill in the air yet? Oh, I mentioned a bonus track. Since it's July 4th, how about a track called Christmas In America by Tony Martin With Henri Rene's Orchestra And Chorus? This is the flipside of Christmas In Rio (RCA Victor 7" 45 RPM 47-6317 "Record Prevue"), one of the tracks I shared with you back on Christmas And A Half. I think it's appropriate for today. So there's the list, and here's the link. Help your self to six more tracks of Christmas goodness. This brings our total to 40!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...