Thursday, May 14, 2009

Kite Flight


I had a very surprising encounter with a rare bird this afternoon. I was on my way to my parent's house when I saw a scissor-tailed kite fly by. That's an extremely rare occurrence, since I'd only seen one of these birds once before in the wild, and only twice before in captivity. Odder still, he flew by again. And again. And then once more. I was stuck behind a bus that seemed unable to turn at the stop sign ahead of us, so I took the hint, grabbed my camera, put on the big lens, and hopped out. Sure enough, this kite just kept right on circling. I got over a hundred shots, and these are some of the best.

Look at that beautiful forked tail! That's a dead giveaway that you're looking at a kite. Nothing else in the sky look like that, at least nothing this large.


A couple of times, a smaller bird tried to run the kite off, but to no avail. He just circled and circled, eventually heading off to points unknown. I wish I could see stuff like this every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...