Friday, December 12, 2008

Found Music-Part Two-Chimeatron!


Last week I brought you a Muzak LP that I'd been after since finding the empty sleeve last year, and now I'm proud to present another LP that I discovered without the actual long-player inside the cover. This is one of those records where the anticipation was more exciting than the actual record once I found it. Look at the sleeve above. It's a terrible picture of somebody's house, and it's nicely decorated, but not ornately so. But if you look in the lower left corner, you'll see the announcement "Chimes By Chimeatron". Chimeatron? What's a Chimeatron, and how do I get one? Is it a chime-playing robot from outer space? Well, turns out that that's not a bad guess. The internet tells me that Chimeatron was a feature you could purchase to automate some of the playing of your carillon. And sure enough, that Schulmerich name shows up again on the back of this record. So, if you want to hear what Chimeatron sounds like for yourself, please download George Chiainia, Organ, With Chimes By Chimeatron-Music Of The Holiday Season-Organ And Chimes (Colonial LP-272, Stereo). Note that the record sleeve is for a mono copy, the labels on the vinyl itself are for a mono copy, but the music in the grooves is stereophonic. Took me a while to convince my ears that it was true, but there are passages that are very clearly in stereo. Also, there was a catalog for Colonial inside the new sleeve. I scanned the front page of that and stuck it in the ZIP file. I didn't scan all six pages because I'm lazy. Turns out most of their catalog is music from other countries.

1. White Christmas
2. O Come All Ye Faithful
3. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
4. Oh Holy Night
5. Joy To The World
6. Angels We Have Heard On High
7. Away In The Manger
8. Noel
9. Silent Night
10. Jingle Bells
11. Oh How Joyfully
12. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
13. In Dulce Jubilo
14. Beautiful Savior
15. We Three Kings
16. Lo How A Rose

1 comment:

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...