Thursday, July 06, 2006

Christmas In July-Part 6

What's that you say? You want more Christmas music here in July? OK, if you insist. Tonight you get three tracks, all from the organist extraordinaire Ethel Smith. Two tracks from the LP Bright and Breezy (Decca DL 8799), and one track from Seated One Day At The Organ (Decca DL 8902). I don't know if these albums were even available in stereo (stereo catalog numbers aren't listed on the sleeves), so these tracks are mono. Anybody got Ethel's Christmas records? I think there was one 10" record (later reissued on 12") and a later 12". And according to the liner notes on one of the LPs I recorded, she covers Sleigh Ride on one of her non-holiday LPs. Anybody got any of those tracks and want to share? I'd love to hear more of her Christmas stuff. (I think I shared one or two of these tracks out of FaLaLaLaLa last summer, so if they sound familiar, that's why.)

Oh, the three tracks in the download are March Of The Toys, Parade of The Wooden Soldiers and Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring. All good stuff for the holidays. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. OH WOWWWW! ETHEL SMITH???

    Ernie, I am so looking forward to hearing these tracks! I've been after her Christmas album for a long time (and keep coming up empty).

    Great finds Ern!


    Capt

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...