Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Oodles of Doodles XLVIII-Christmas In July


Today's doodle is hardly a doodle at all, but I figured it was appropriate somehow. Everyone has heard of Christmas Seals, although I think they are less well known now than to earlier generations of Americans. The picture above is from the back of a promotional LP called For Christmas Seals (Style D-1965, 1965), and this particular volume features Peter, Paul And Mary on one side, and Lorne Greene on the other. There was a small series of these LPs, and each featured an informational program from the artist in support of Christmas seals and their fight against tuberculosis. Unfortunately, my sleeve contained a radio transcription disc which I figured might be what it should contain, but I was wrong. The record contains two non-Christmas shows from WNYE. Snooze-ville. If anybody out there has this program, or any others in the series, please let me know... (OK, I cheated here a bit, since the picture below is from the front of the LP, but if I hadn't told you that, you'd never know.)

For the curious among you, some of the other artists listed on the back of this LP as having similar LPs are Eileen Farrell, Eddy Arnold, Barbra Streisand, The Wayfarers, Eydie Gorme, Steve Lawrence, Al Hirt, Andy Williams & Mitch Miller. They also list several compilations of celebrity spot announcements. Somebody out there has got to have copies of these...

1 comment:

  1. A while back, in one of my semi-regular hunts for Christmas stuff online I came across a Canadian site of Christmas seals. Very good stuff:

    Canadian Christmas Seals Gallery

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...