Sunday, August 09, 2020

Thanksgiving In August

Well, here it is, the last three tracks from the Christmas in July 2020 folder, and they just happen to be for Thanksgiving. Some things that I recorded since I shared out the first few Thanksgiving tracks back at the end of June, so I suppose it's fitting that we end at the same place we began. I had really hoped to bring you 1000 tracks this season, but I didn't get quite that far. I think we're just a little over 900, which is still a record, but not quite to my goal. And I figure it's as good a time as any to tell you that this is most likely going to be the last Christmas in July celebration for the foreseeable future, at least in this form. It's a huge investment of time and energy and money that I don't think I can continue.  I love going out and finding these records, but I've finally run out of space in the condo to store them all. And for every record I buy with a Christmas track or two, I usually buy ten more that just go into the stacks.  Being stuck at home during the pandemic has shown me how much money I was spending on these records, and it's no small amount. With my girlfriend moving in with me next month, I figure I can put my money and my space to much better use.  The records are going into storage, and that means I certainly don't need more of them.  I'll miss it, believe me, I already do.  But things have to change.  It's been fun, I hope for you as much as it's been for me. I'll be back at Christmas, but things aren't likely to be the same then, either. I have big plans, we'll see how that goes. And I owe you a best-of from last year and this year, at least one of which I am almost done with, so you'll see that someday.  So until next time I see you, thanks for all your support, and I'll see you around the thrift stores!

MEGA

16 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your semi-retirement!

    I'll look forward to whatever you have time for in the future, but in the meantime, thanks for all your great shares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ernie, thank you for the past fifteen summers or so. All good things must come to an end - but it's a new beginning for you and your significant other - which will be great for you both, I pray!! We will keep checking things out periodically and do look forward to your Christmas shares which are always fun during "the" season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for all the goodies, both this year and in seasons past. I sure hope you continue to post in December!

    Best of everything to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, always sad when we come to the end of something enjoyable, both for you and for us. I can't thank you enough for all the unique shares, comments, stories and attention to detail you put into every single track - above and beyond for sure.Amazing stuff and I will be peeking in from time to time just to see how the share bug gets you when you least expect it. Blessings to you and yours Ernie- and thanks again for all the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words. Just remember, I'm not dying or quitting, I'm just leaving the current format of Christmas In July behind. I feel like I'm spending a lot of time repeating myself with the same songs over and over again, but it I just stuck to new finds, it might be woefully thin around here. And then there's the money involved in buying so many records, it's not a cheap hobby. I need to get back into photography where you can take all the pictures you want once you have the equipment, and I have all the equipment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ernie, dude, your contributions to my seasonal attitude number in the many thousands. I've been SO VERY FORTUNATE to have stumbled across your efforts some years ago, and continue to enjoy them year after year. You've done us all a maximum solid for a really long time. Dialing it back is all good. We're all still here. You will be, too. It'll be great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ernie, enjoy your time off and your loved one. You're one of the last holdouts of the Age of Sharity, and I'll take whatever you give!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ernie--I truly understand your need to slow down. While your fans (me included) really appreciate all of these shares, it wouldn't be worth it if we knew that it caused you to burn out (or run out of space--or money). Until next time, I wish you the very, very best!!

    ReplyDelete

  9. Ernie, take a break and don't feel the need to apologize! You've always gone above and beyond what anyone could expect. Who else has ever done what you have done?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ernie,

    You are a giant among men in the Christmas music genre.
    I doubt that there will ever be another like you.
    Thanks for everything you have done.

    Rick R.

    P.S. - Good luck with your new girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Thanksgiving post today is appropriate, because I'm sending you big thanks for all the holiday harmonies over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I FINALLY got the rest of Christmas in July 2020 downloaded today, so now it's time to queue some of it up and listen to your great work. I always think there is some serious historical/archival value in the work you do (and the other Christmas sharity brothers [do we have sisters?]), but I don't quite know how to capture the significance for posterity. Anyway - awesome month, once again! If I was in Florida I'd have helped you move those records (easy for me to say, a thousand miles away, right?). Say hi to the GF for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks all! Still moving boxes. But I've lost ten pounds. So I guess that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where are you storing all your music? Cloud, hard drive?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Most of it is on hard drives right here at home. I couldn't afford the expense to put it all up on the cloud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A belated thank you from Sweden for your incredible efforts, which have brought a lot of joy to me as well as the people who get my annual Christmas double-CDs - they always feature a few tracks I wouldn't have it weren't for you. All the best for the future.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...