Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Shifting Gears

Talk about a change of pace, I'm switching from Christmas stories and foreign songs to this, which is really hard to categorize, but it ain't any of those things.  This record is a little newer than my usual fare, but it's no less obscure. I thought I was the only one who had a copy, but I soon discovered that your friend and mine, Stubby, had shared it out over at The 'Fa many years ago.  I hope it's been long enough that he won't mind me sharing my copy with you. This record covers the bases from funk to disco to R&B with some rock and raw vocal finesse thrown in here and there for good measure. I don't know much about it, I don't know how it came to be, I don't know why it wasn't a huge hit, but it's not something you see every day, and it's good. So download this and tell me what you think.  This is Larry Farrow-It's The Happiest Time Of The Year (Capitol ST-12021, Stereo, 1979). Guest vocalists include Nancy Wilson, Elmo Washington, Gene Harbin, Jim Gilstrap, Elaine Norwood, Quinin Williams & The Shades of Love. And there are a lot of session players on here you'll recognize, too, but I'm too lazy to type it all in. If that lead-off track doesn't get your toes to tappin', you might want to check your blood pressure!

1. It's A Sho-Nuff-Boogie Down-Sock It To Me Sleigh Ride
2. You Know It's Christmas
3. It's The Happiest Time Of The Year
4. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
5. Let This Be A Merry Christmas
6. Little Altar Boy
7. The Christmas Medley (The Sound Of Christmas; Let It Snow!; Winter Wonderland; The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You); Merry Christmas Baby; The Best Thing About Winter Is Christmas Time; Christmas Time Is Here; Christmas Funk; Sleigh Ride)

MEGA

5 comments:

  1. You know I Sho-Nuff don't mind. I can't even remember if I originally bought it because of that song title or because Nancy Wilson was on it. Probably both. What I do remember is my copy was sealed...and warped. It's a fun and eclectic record. And you're right. It's a lot more obscure than it oughta be. Boogie down, children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was out of the country during the late 70s and early 80s... away from all new music. i missed disco and funky stuff like this. but last summer i was so tired of fast-walking to old rock that i made up a set of up-tempo super-famous hits that sounded much like this. it was all right for a while. then i found a better solution. i quit fast-walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sho-nuff looking forward to this one... oh here it is.. C-ya. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...