Sunday, December 15, 2019

My Favorite

I've shared a lot of stuff with you this season, and I hope to share much more before the season heads back to the North Pole for the summer, but the thing I am most excited to have found this season is right here. It's not the rarest thing, and it's certainly been shared out all over the internet in versions better than what I was able to get from my copy, but I was just so excited to find it after all these years.  I was digging through the budget Christmas records at Clearwater Record Show, and I happened to see a pile of framed album covers.  This one was on the top and I figured it was just the cover. I took it up to the counter and asked if I could open it up.  They opened it up and there was a record still in the sleeve.  They put a price on it, then set it down in a spot far away from all the other records I wanted to buy.  I was halfway out the door before I realized it wasn't with my other goodies, so I had to go back and pay for it. I rushed home and recorded it that night. When this came out, it was cutting edge music, even though it wasn't all new. I think eight of the tracks were on a 10" record that came out two years before, and Greensleeves was on a record they released the previous year. So that means there were only three new tracks recorded for this, but it's still great. If you've never heard, it, don't hesitate, just download it.  This is the great Ferrante & Teicher-Adventure In Carols (Westminster WP 6021, Mono, 1956)! And talk about a classic cover? No wonder they had it framed!

1. Sleigh Ride
2. Good King Wenceslas
3. What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)
4. Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
5. White Christmas
6. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
7. Christmas Song
8. The First Nowell
9. Silent Night
10. Jingle Bells
11. Adeste Fideles
12. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen

MEGA

16 comments:

  1. W00T! I did have this, but only in a VERY low-fi version so delighted to update/upgrade. Thanks, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this one's been one of my absolute favorites ever since I started digging for seasonal gems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I didn't have this already, I'd be downloading it! A wonderful album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This guy did some artificial stereo work on it. Not bad. Also, check out that Westminster ad...

    https://stereocandies.blogspot.com/2018/12/ferrante-teicher-adventure-in-carols.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you found a copy, eh? Nice work, and thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Already one of my favorites from this sharing season! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why this has never been reissued, even digital only, makes no sense. Thanks for sharing this and everything else! Such great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very nice, love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been issued on CD and streaming by third parties, under more lax EU copyright laws. They use the alternative title of "Xmas Hi-Fivories" which was originally an EP with I think 8 of the songs.

    https://open.spotify.com/album/4RLDxLMbMLByHt3G3dU2VA

    ReplyDelete
  10. That like IS the coolest LP cover of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Er, I mean, that IS the coolest LP cover of all time. I must have been channeling my inner beatnik.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So wait.. this is today's sounds, recorded yesterday? Boggles the mind it does. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Shocked this has received an official digital release. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I mean, has *not* received an official digital release.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a very nice find, Ernie! And with much better sound than what I have from the original 1954 album. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great LP from the maestros. Thank you and merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...