Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Christmas In July 2019-Part 40

And here we are, the official half-way post for the season!  Part 40, plus two Thanksgiving In June posts, that's halfway, or maybe a little past halfway, depending on how much time I get to record the last few tracks I need to finish out the month.  I think it's been a pretty good season so far, how about ya'll?  Got any favorite tracks yet?  Have you even listened to any of it yet?  Saving it all for Christmas?  You have more self control than I do then.  :)

1. Dorothy Warenskjold, Soprano, With Jack Crossan, Piano-Ave Maria from On Wings Of Song (Capitol P8333, Mono, 1955).  We'll go ahead and get the Ave Maria for the day out of the way first.  This is the second and final version from this album and singer.  Funny how many artists put more than one version on their albums.

2. Bethany College Choir-Elmer Copley, Conductor-Ruth Copley, Accompanist-Christmas Wish from Bethany College Choir-Lindsborg, Kansas 1963-1964 (Stucky's Recording Service SRS-1864, Mono, 1964). You think those two Copley's are related?  Married perhaps?

3. Roger Williams With Orchestras Directed By Martin Gold And Hal Kanner-Holiday For Strings from Songs Of The Fabulous Forties (Kapp 2xLP KXL-5003, Mono, 1957).  Does this album exist in stereo?  I thought it did, and almost didn't buy this copy, but I can't seem to find it if it exists. Nice version, even though he plays it pretty straight.  No novelty instruments to be heard.

4. Eleanor Newman, Soprano, With W. Lawrence Curry, Accompanist-Il Est Né; Jesus Borned In Bethlea from Let's Sing Songs And Hymns For Primary Children (Geneva Press 69-0031, Mono). When I picked this album up from the pile at Goodwill the other day, I thought I had shared tracks from it already, but it turned out to be a different record from the same series.  I guess they all share the same cover art.  Seems like the sort of thing that's designed to teach new hymns to church groups. I suppose I could have split this into two tracks easily enough, but it was listed as once track on the sleeve, so I just left it.

5. The Robert Shaw Chorale-Robert Shaw, Conductor-Hugh Porter, Organist-L'Enfance Du Christ: Thou Must Leave Thy Lowly Dwellings from Great Sacred Choruses (RCA Victor Red Seal LM-1117, Mono, 1956). How many albums do I have with this same title?  It seems to be coming up an awful lot.

6. Sister Jean, P.M. With Orchestra-My Favorite from The Fabulous Whistling Nun Presents The Sound Of Music (AC Recording MG 200,901, Mono).  Yep, a whistling nun!  Not sure what she did with the word 'Things' from the title of her song, though.  I guess she whistled it right away.

7. Esquivel And His Orchestra-Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers from Strings Aflame (RCA Victor LPM-1988, Mono, 1959).  Mono version from a stereo genius.  Sorry.

8. Wheaton College Men's Glee Club-H. William Nordin, Director-Charles Paton, Assistant Director-Wilson Augsburger, Pianist-The Sleigh from Wheaton College Men's Glee Club (Recorded And Pressed By RCA Custom Record Dept. H7OP-5668/5669, Mono, 1957).  I always dig this song.

9. David Munrow With Gillian Reid And Christopher Hogwood-Carol 'Nowell Sing We' from The Mediaeval Sound (The Musical Heritage Society Inc. MHS 1454, Stereo, 1970). I see a lot of these Music Heritage Society albums, but it's pretty rare to find something to share on them.

10. Unknown Artist-Christmas Tidings from Superior New Works For Concert Band-Vol. XVII Advanced Edition (Jenson Publications 2xLP JP-6500, Stereo, 1985).  Demo.

And that's it.  Here's the share from the halfway point.  Lemme know what you think of the season so far down in the comments.  Always love to hear from you!

7 comments:

  1. I thought I had seen that Roger Williams LP in stereo, and sure enough, there's a copy on YouTube.

    David Munrow made many exceptional records, primarily of medieval and Renaissance music, before his early death about 40 years ago. I am glad to have this one; never seen ir before.

    The Whistling Nun, eh? That got me to thinking, I wonder if there are any Whistling Dogs records.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't listened to everything as yet. But, from what I have, I'd count these as my favorites so far.

    Christmas At Carnegie - Jack Teagarden (part 11)
    On Christmas Day - Gloria Lynne (part 4)...would like a cleaner copy
    Troika - JJ Johnson & Kai Winding (part 2)
    Winter Won't Come This Year - Bill Medley (part 8)...can't go wrong with Bill Medley
    Jesu, Joy...etc. - Jerry Read Smith & Tom Fellenbaum (part 7)

    There were some other instrumentals I quite liked, but I can't remember which ones at the moment. Um, let's see, well...Ski Trail by Jack Kane was one. Skater's Waltz by Edmundo Ros was another. I'm sure there were others I'm forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah Vaughn, Captain Kangaroo, and a whistling nun. Life just doesn't get any better than this. Great selections today one again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sister jean, p.m. (more mysterious initials)

    heavens to betsy. she takes your breath away. i feel like a member of the audience at the premier of “springtime for hitler” after witnessing the opening number. i take it that after the unprecedented success of sister sourire in the 1960s, the catholic church scoured the orders, missions, retreats, and what-have-you’s to find anyone with a gimmick that might further garner the attention radio belgique and perhaps even ed sullivan. this is what they came up with. if you haven’t listened to it, do so. she doesn’t whistle a happy tune. she makes bird noises !! nonstop !!! i don’t think she took a breath for three minutes. occasionally she approximates a note in the melody to give the illusion that she’s following along. mostly, she’s just off in the clouds. maybe she ran into sally field up there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, folks. I'll keep 'em comin' if you'll keep commentin' on 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your two songs from soprano Dorothy Warenskjold are favorites, as are the Oscar Peterson, Camarata, Roberta Sherwood, Blue Ridge Mountain Boys, Caterina Valente, George Feyer and George Shearing songs. Thanks for your efforts, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your faves. I'm always amazed that everybody likes something a little different, so I keep trying to share as diverse a range of music as I can stand. :)

    I am not a robot!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...