Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Christmas In July 2019-Part 4

And here we go with part 2 for day 2.  Lotta music to share here...

1. Gloria Lynne With The Earl May Trio-On Christmas Day from I'm Glad There Is You (Everest LPBR 5126, Mono, 1961).  This is the sort of thing I love to find.  No getting around it, this is a great Christmas track!  Now if I could just find a clean stereo version.

2. Paul Mickelson And Tedd Smith-Panis Angelicus (O Lord Most Holy) from the LP Open The Gates Of The Temple (RCA Victor LPM 1098, Mono, 1955).  I'm a little lost when I get into certain areas, and songs like this are one of those areas.  Is it Christmas? I don't know, but I've seen it on Christmas albums.  I figure I'd better share it with you just to be on the safe side.

3. Jack Kane And His Orchestra-Ski Trail from Raisin' Kane (Signature SM 1002, Mono, 1961).  I suppose I should have tagged this one Skiing instead of Christmas, I've got a few others tagged that way this year.  It's a legit seasonal activity, right?

4. Richard Hayman And His Orchestra-Wintertime Of Love (Republic's "Thunderbirds") from Great Motion Picture Themes Of Victor Young (Mercury MG20369, Mono, 1958). Not my favorite Richard Hayman contribution to Christmas In July, but I'll take it.

5. Nino Rossi-Greensleeves from Il Silenzio (Hansa Club Series (West Germany) 2xLP 86965 XBT, Stereo).  In case you don't know, What Child Is This uses the music from the old English song Greensleeves.  So anytime I find an instrumental version, I count it as a Christmas song. Did I tag this as Nini Rosso in the download?  I bet I did...  :(

6. Coventry Cathedral Boys' Choir-Directed By David Lepine, Robert Weddle-Organ-Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring from Coventry Cathedral Boys' Choir-Choirs Of Britian Series No. 2 (Chapter One CMS 1006, Stereo, 1971).  Pretty sure this record was from the UK, but I didn't tag it that way for some reason.  Must have been distracted that night.

7. Gerald Eskelin And The L.A. Jazz Choir-Kris Kringle from Hal Leonard Presents A Choral Spectrum (Youth Edition) (Hal Leonard Publishing HLP-11, Stereo, 1984).  Another demo record that features an actual artist name.  Will miracles never cease?

8. Jean Martinon Conducting The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra-Les Patineurs-Pas Seul from Le Cid-Ballet Music/Les Patineurs (The Skaters)-Ballet (London CS 6058, Stereo, 1958).  The first part of a side-long composition about skating.  I assume it's ice skating, but you never know.  Could be about rollerblading.

9. Ferrante & Teicher-Mother Goose Suite (Ma Mère l'Oye): Petit Poucet from The Artistry Of Ferrante & Teicher (ABC-Paramount ABCS-454, Technically Augmented Stereo).  Another small piece of a much longer composition.  I should have all the parts for you eventually.  I remember this one as being pretty noisy, so I hope it sounds OK.  There's only so much you can do with certain pieces of vinyl, try as you might.

10. Neil Wolfe-My Favorite Things (From The Musical Production "The Sound Of Music") from Piano-My Way-The Unique New Sound Of Neil Wolfe (Columbia Special Products CSP 9039, Stereo, 1965).  The first version of this song this year, and certainly not the last.  Though I did try to limit it's use somewhat since I had better stuff to share.

Ten more tracks, over and done.  Give 'em a listen, lemme know what you think.  Here's the link.

5 comments:

  1. This is a really nice selection - good items and no organs, unless you snuck one in that I missed in your discussion.

    Panis angelicus is not a Christmas item; it comes from the liturgy for the Feast of Corpus Christi. So close enough, I guess. I used to like this one back in the Latin Rite days, which I am fully old enough to remember.

    Ma mere l'oye is not a Christmas composition either, but I think you consider such kid-related music to be Christmassy. If there's one thing I've learned around here, it's that your definition of "Christmas music" is elastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I kinda thought the Mother Goose bit related to kids. I wasn't too impressed with the music, to be honest, but it was really rough when I recorded it, so that was all I heard. Elastic, that's a good way to put it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that Gloria Lynne song is fantastic! I remember someone saying that all the good Christmas music has been found by now and you've proven that wrong over and over. Nini Rossi's Greensleeves is right up my alley. Also enjoyed the Neil Wolfe song. I've said this before but for the longest time I was adamant that My Favorite Things was not a Christmas song but you've won me over with so many incredible versions. I guess I've become elastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think each generation of fans discovers things that the previous generation knew but forgot about. All these things had an audience when they were released. I'm just helping to rediscover them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://youtu.be/zAdSGDWp7xY here is a stereo version I found, in case you want to hear it! Love the Gloria Lynne

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...